Question

Cocksaki virus?
Hi, my daughter, aged 3, has been diagnosed with something called "Cocksaki virus" (I am not sure how it is spelt) I need to find something on the Internet that will give me some backround on this. Please help.
ta

Shirley, the Coxsackie viruses are a group of viruses that cause a host of different diseases. They are divided in two groups namely A (23 types) and B (6 types).
Coxsackie viruses cause the following syndromes:
1. Aseptic meningitis.
2. Bornholm disease.
3. Bronchitis.
4. Conjunctivitis.
5. Gastroenteritis.
6. Hand-foot-and-mouth-disease.
7. Herpangina.
8. Myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation).
9. Paralysis.
10. Pericarditis (heart sack inflammation).
11. Skin rashes.
As you can see, saying that you have Coxsackie virus doesn’t say much. Another thing is to make the diagnoses you have to isolate the virus or prove the presence of IgM antibodies. Most infections will clear up by them selves and only supportive treatment is necessary. Good luck.