Ask an expert

22 Nov 2004

Cold sore or allergy?
Dear Cyber doc
I've never ever had a cold sore in my life! I'm 22 years old and last weekend I saw a teeny tiny little pimple on my lip *not at the corners, not on the lip lining, on the lip in the middle of nowhere!*
Anyway I squeezed it but nothing happened and then it got itchy and then swelled and made a blister. I know i should have just left it but now everyone says it's a cold sore. I also read in a book that cold sores come from the herpes simplex virus? Does this mean I'm now a herpes carrier?
Anyway I hope you can help me, I have been told that it's stress related (or at least stress contributes to it) I have been through a very very stressful last 6 months with numerous tragedies.

Please give me your honest opinion - this little guy looks like he's drying up after 2 days.
Let me know what you think
Thanks Tan
Answer 693 views

01 Jan 0001

Tan, it sounds like a normal fever blister from this side of the screen. It is caused by a herpes virus but not the same one as the one that causes genital herpes. Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) in 95% of cases (the other 5% is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)). HSV-1 usually causes fever blisters on the lips. As a matter of interest – there are at least 7 types of herpes viruses. Type 3 causes chickenpox and shingles, type 4 causes glandular fever, type 5 is cytomegalo virus and they’re not exactly sure what diseases are caused by type 6 and 7.
You don’t have to worry about it as it isn’t dangerous and next time it feels like it is coming out again, get something like Zovirax® ointment from your pharmacy. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.