Question

Cold sores
The girl I am dating develops cold sores around her mouth- bordering her lips. She has been getting these long before I met her, and I am concerned with their transmittal risks. At what stage is it safe to kiss her ie: after they have been there for 1 week, never etc? Please advise as well as what preventitive measures she can take against these.

regards

Marc

Mick, fever blisters are caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus and for some reason she only has partial immunity against it. When she’s under a lot of stress the virus comes from it’s hiding place in the nerve and causes a blister (some women are unfortunate enough to experience this with every period). It’s not dangerous, but it can be fairly uncomfortable and irritating. The blister is contagious until it has dried up completely, but you’re probably immune and have nothing to worry about.
She can try taking l-lysine, the amino acid, as soon as the tingling feeling starts and it should stop it from coming out. She doesn’t have to drink a pill to take care of it; a cream like Zovirax® usually takes care of it. If she’s more masochistically inclined, she can also use aftershave or 90% alcohol, as it will kill the virus :-). Good luck.