Question

COLON
What foods should I avoid if I have a spastic colon? I was told that dairy should be avoided but I don't want to cut it out if its not necessary. Also what food can I eat that has NO protein in it but is still high in calcium. ( I don't get enough calcium in my diet but I get way to much protein.) I have been taking calcium supplements but it seems to make me constipated. Is there something I can do to limit this otherwise I'm going to have to stop with the supplements.

Dear Reader
If you click on 'Diet' and then on 'View old Diet & Food site' at the bottom left of the page you should find the articles on 'Irritable Bowel Syndrome', otherwise do a Search with 'Irritable Bowel Syndrome' on this Website. You should only avoid dairy products IF you are sensitive or allergic to them - rather have an allergy test before you cut out a whole food group like this - selfdiagnosis is not a good idea. Unfortunately the best sources of calcium are milk and dairy products which do contain some protein. Use the low-fat varieties if you are worried about fat intake. If you take Calcium Sandoz as a calcium supplement, if should not make you constipated. While you are on the 'Old Diet & Food site' read up about constipation and a high-fibre diet.