Ask an expert

10 Mar 2003

Combatting high levels of bad cholesterol

I was diagnosed with a high LDL (5.5). The GP has put me on medication (Lipitor), but I am very reluctatn to become a chronic pill-popper. I am not overwight and try to exercise at least three times a week.

Our diet is typically South African and I know I need to change this (For the whole family). I am looking for a eating plan (regime) vs a diet plan. This is where I need your assistance.

Maybe an unfair question : "Will a properly planned diet ensure a reversal of the LDL situation?"

Would it be an option to consult a Homeopath.

Anyway - look forwazrd to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Answer 332 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Allen
Diet can play an important role in lowering LDL-cholesterol and most doctors give their patients at least 3 months grace to try lowering their chol by diet , before they start treating the patient with medication. To lower 'bad' LDL-chol you need to lower your total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol intakes. To achieve this, you must eat a diet which is low in fat and cholesterol, high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients. If you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' you will find an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - use the diet 'ad lib', this means you can eat the permitted foods in larger quantities because you don't need to lose weight. Also try using Flora pro.activ margarine which you can buy at most supermarkets. Some patients reduce their LDL and total cholesterol by up to 30% just by using this margarine which contains plant sterols that interfere with the uptake of cholesterol from the diet. Also check out the 'View old Diet & food site' to read articles about low-fat food choices, etc. It also helps to take Salmon oil capsules to boost omega-3 intake which lowers cholesterol levels. Keep up the good work with the exercise.
Best of luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.