Question

Communal Pneumonia
I have recently recovered from what is called communal pneumonia, please can you answer a few questions I have.

I was most surprise to learn that I had contracted this disease as I never had any signs of flu, a cough or a running nose. It all started with an eye infection but at the same time I felt very ill. When I went to the doctor for the eye infection I mentioned to him that I felt extremely ill with it. He examined me and then sent me for x-rays, the result of which I was diagnosed with communal pneumonia.

Please can you explain how one contracts this "out of the blue". I finished the course of antibiotics which I was given. That was one week ago. Now I have the symptoms of flu coming on. I am normally not a sickly person at all and this is really worrying me because I would associate this with a smoker (which I am not). The last time I had a bout of flu was maybe about 4 years ago, and I have never had bronchitis before.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

Tracey, communal or community-acquired pneumonia is a pneumonia caused by organisms commonly found in the community as apposed to hospital-acquired pathogens. It is less dangerous and easier to treat.
You probably got it from someone that coughed on/near you and it is possible that it presents as a very ill patient that isn’t really coughing that much. This is why pneumonia is so dangerous in little babies as it is often almost too late to do anything by the time it is diagnosed.
Although it is more often seen in people with a suppressed immunity, it is possible for “normal” people to get it too and it doesn’t necessarily mean that there is something wrong with you. Good luck.
PS Getting a flu vaccination this year won’t be a bad idea.