Question

competition - is it a good/bad thing?
Dear Cyber Shrink

My 12 year old boy must participate in a debate at school and must take a view in the subject "1) COMPETITION: IS IT A GOOD OR A BAD THING and
" 2) are we laying to much or too little stress on competition"

If you can assist us with some research information or anything to help him to proof his point of view, it will be very much appreciated. He thinks that competition is a good thing, but that we should not lay to much stress on it. We are Afrikaans speaking, but will be able to fully understand your comment in English.

His speech must be 4 to 5 minutes. I do not expect you to write it for us, but shall be thankful for some information or reference on the internet.

Unfortunately we need the information ASAP - he must speech in class on Monday, 3 March 2003.

Kind regards

Sandra

Dear Sandra,
I suggest that you, with your son, use a good internet search engine, like Google ( www.google.com ) and see what's available on the argument about competition.
And it sounds as if he has, on his own, formed a sound opinion on the subject. The first question posed is an artificial one : surely competition IS a good thing, and a bad thing --- depending on whether it is held in proportion or over-emphasized. He might like to look at what would the school and the world be like without any competition ( everyone is given top marks, even if they don't bother to come to school --- but then no-one in the outside world pays any attention to these marks, because they wouldn't mean anything ) ; and the school has a gigantic first Rugby team, because, of course everyone must be a member, not only the best players. And then look at some examples of the damage when competition is over-emphasized, maybe especially at school, maybe where parents expect too much, and put on too much pressure ?
Of couse, one assumes the debate won't be competitive ? Or will one side win and the other one lose ? Let's not get over-competitive about it, shall we ?