Question

Compulsive eater
Dear Doc

I have have always been a big person except for the ages between 1 and 12, I am 32 now. For the past 20 years life has been a living hell. When I was in my teens people used to say that I was big, but I wasn't all that bad. When that depressed me, I ate even more. I told myself that I can always diet later.

Years later after going on fruitless diets, I weigh 120 kg. I have not gone on a lot of diets in my life as they become difficult and I find it difficult to stick to a diet. I have not told anyone this, but I am a compulsive eater. I do not eat when there is a crowd, I only eat when I am alone.

I have tried weighless, but it didn't work, I found that I couldn't eat chocolates and sweets and all other sweet things. What I also like eating was ice cream, especially from McDonals. There is no way that I can pass McDonals and not buy an ice cream. On Saturdays I must have my dessert eg milktart & apple tart after food it doesn't matter how full I am.

During the week I do not binge so much, I have three meals which are not balanced and sometimes, I must have a snack between lunch and supper. I know it doesn't sound much but I feel like I am digging a hole for myself.

I can not stop myself, neither can my family. I do not have self control over these foods, I feel like they are starting to rule my life. I really want to stop eating and loosing weight. Please help

Dear nake,
You are partly right, in realizing that you have developed problems in controlling your appetite and your eating behaviour, and you seem to feel out of control of something you can and need to control. What you ideally need, and your family would surely support this, is the advice and assistance, in person and in detail, of a clinical psychologist with a special interest in obesity and eating disorders, and a dietician, to help plan a diet hat is realistic and effective.
he shrink will have to work with you on some of the unhelpful and incorrect assumptions who are making. eg : "I cannot stop myself" --- WRONG ! The truth is "I have not chosen to stop myself". "I do not have self-control over these foods" -- NO! Actually -- I do not choose to exercise self-control over these foods.
If you really do want to stop eating excessively ( and of the wrong things ) and to lose weight, you certainly can. But maybe not by working on your own --- rather work with experts to be sure your effort pays off