Ask an expert

29 Jun 2011

Concentration part II
thank you so much for your prompt reply.

i just dont know anymore...we have been for assessments with educational psychologists and some specialist pead, and the one psychologist referred us to the neurologist.
we have been for so many test and assessments and no one can come up with an answer. We have been doing variuos tests etc for years!

He has made a lot of progress this year, but his teacher has marked that if she gives him a list of tasks he always has to come back and check what he needs to do next etc.
I really dont think its hyperactivity. (and to answer your question, he can sit for long periods if he is playing tv games)

and in response to Anon- his hearing is fine.

i really just dont know what to do.... would a child psychologist be different to an educational one?
thank you
Answer 440 views

01 Jan 0001

The tv games observation is, I think, really rather important - it shows that he CAN concentrate and work for long periods when its on something interesting and rewarding to him. An educational psychologist has specialized in kids with learning problems of the usual sort, but NOT in clinical problems like neurological and similar problems. A clinical psychologist should have trained in dealing with illnesses and neurologically related problems, and would maybe be better able to do and interpret neuropsychological tests, of actual brain functions. Sounds like someone with such expertise needs to sit down with ALL the test results, and other opinions, as well as their own assessment, and try to see the broader picture.
Of course it's also possible that there's nothing particularly wrong with the child in the sense these others are looking for. Sometimes, for reasons a child shrink can explore, a child in some classes wants more attention than they are getting, they may find that they can achieve this by being a bit hyperactive, asking more questions, and so on. If this is the case, sometimes even quite slight variations in how a teacher handles him, may make a surprisingly large difference.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.