Question

concerned
Hi...i am concerned about myself. I lack interest in everything. I used to be a happy, carefree person until I landed up in hospital some years ago and it changed my life forever. Whenever I am sick (eg even with a stomach bug), I lack control and my blood pressure drops, causing fainting etc. This has never happened in public, but as a result of me knowing this fact, I fear going away on holidays, far from doctors etc; fear going to shopping centres; fear flying; fear everything that could put me in a situation of no control whereby I can't get away quick enough to save me the embarrassment if i suddenly don't feel well. I find too that I am constantly tired, lack energy, can sleep for a day, wake up, go to bed again in the evening at a normal hour, and wake up the next day feeling tired again. My appetite is not that great either, I look pale, and thin most of the time. Don't exercise, live on complan for energy, and don't know how I would survive if I had kids, which my husband and I have been trying for, for over a year. This fear of "lack of control" rules my life, and makes me feel nauseous. No point in recommending a psychologist, I tried that, and ended up worse as they made me concentrate on my fears even more. Any suggestions?

Dear a, I'm sorry to hear that the psychologist you saw wasn't much help ; but they rally ought to b able to help here. You seem to be describing symptoms of anxiety, with phobic features, and maybe depression as well. Why not see a psychiatrist, firstly for a proper assessment of the situation to clearly identify the problem(s) that need to be dealt with ; and then o review possible treaments. Fortunately, some of the medicines used nowadays, can greatly relieve anxiety and depression symptoms, and help greatly to relieve phobias and fears ; and could help you get things back into proportion.
And if you are still interested in having kids, relieving these psych symptoms and the over-stress, can potentially help increase ertility, as well as helping you to enjoy the prospect of parenthood.