Question

Condylomata Accuminata
Dear Cyberdoc,

I have been operated on 3 times in the past 10 years and these warts keep on coming back. They are in the anal region and were removed surgically. The itching has started again and on closer inspection they are back and spreading. Possibly new cures or treatments are availabnle?

F&W, this is from an article I wrote on genital warts a while ago. If you’re interested in the rest of the article, mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.
“There are several treatment options available. These include burning or freezing them off, laser, surgical removal or creams. Using podophyllin or tricloroacetic acid is messy and has a high failure rate. Circumcision may prevent recurrence. Aldara (imiquimod 5%) is a new cream that is now available for the treatment of genital warts, and it shows a lot of promise. Unlike the other applications that work by chemically burning away the wart, this cream stimulates your own immune system to take care of the warts in a more natural way. This is definitely one of the options to ask your GP about when you go to see him about your warts as it is non-invasive and doesn’t leave scars.”