Ask an expert

21 Aug 2011

Dear professor,

I have been a regular to this forum since inception. But it''s been three years since I ast posted. Anyway.. anxiety depression..intusive thoughts..ocd came into my life in 2000. I have struggled quite a bit with this, until you recommended CBT..I think it''s a life saver.. I am a sucessful professional..and now andt hen I have intrusive thoughts like..what if i strangle my wife or child....AND I WILL NEVER DO THAT...NEVER....sometimes it''s like once a month or so...anyway...I must say,,you a damn good professional with exceptional advise....RIGHT..time to confess...I have compilsively lied...I have stolen from many people.....I am constantly trying to impress other people..I have done alot of wrong things in my life..which I am so sorry for....I needed to just confess on this site...I am really sorry Doc...I have now found GOD and INNER PEACE...and I feel lighter after I speak the truth and not lie...Lying and being the " :man"  is not all....Doc..please don''t look at me as being a " nut:...I am just being honest for once.....I am trying everyday to stay strong..I have a little 3 year old and whenI look at his face...I feel so embarassed at my previous actions.....thanks you again doc
Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

How very nice to hear from you again, Robbie, and with your good news about the usefulness to you of CBT.
Now, to your confession. Its sad that you have apparently lied and done other dishonest things. Recognizing that and admitting it is a first step towards the next essential steps - working with a therapist to enable yourself to stop doing them ( and to stay stoppwed ! ), and to explore where there may be ways for you to make amends.
I don't see you as a nut. Nuts tend not to do bad things, most of which in the world are done by distinctly non-nuts people.
Keep doing things right, for your sake and that of the 3 year-old, and he will learn to enjoy doing right
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.