Ask an expert

27 Aug 2007

I have been sexually abuse and has been living with it for the past twelve years and really need to get over the guilt. I regard myself as a heterosexual guy...but I engage in homosexual activity sometimes for mere sexual gratification, not that I long to be in a relationship with a guy. I am not in denial I just need to make sense of all of this. Please advice or refer me to an expert in this field. I am really desperate.
Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

What you describe is not as unusual as it may feel to you. Sexual abuse is sadly common, and though the victims ought not to feel guilty ( as you did nothing wrong ) feeling guilt is an unfortunately common reaction. And some homosexual activity in otherwise heterosexual men is much more common than people recognize, whether or not they have been abused when younger. I don't think there is an expert in so specific a field, but any competent cliniocal psychologist locally ought to be helpful to you, so dotn't delay seeing someone and working through this in counselling
And Anon is right --- avoid counsellors with ANY strong religious agenda, indeed those with any strong personal agenda rather than neutral fact-based expertise. And avoid EK's friends like poison. Anyone who basis a clinical practice on the false and dangerous assumption that their own personal experience has revealed what everyone else needs and mist do, is useless clinically, and can be harmful.
Ek is totally wrong. Being gay / lesbian is part of the normal range of human sexuality, and is not in any way caused by earlier sexual abuse. God DOES make gays and lesbians. EK's sort of primitive religious bigotry causes much human suffering, and assists only the gullible. Your views are NOT "Christian", but the extremely politically conservative views of some smaller Christian sects. And your views have nothing whatever to do with "facts" but with your personal beliefs, which I respect until you seek to impose them on others.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17885 votes