Question

Confused about MPD/DID
I see in a previous post you said you didn't believe that MPD exsists. I am reading the book 'When Rabbit Howls' by Truddi Chase and I'm confused. I though it was a recognised disorder, although extremely rare.

It is NOT a properly recognized disorder, and most of the most impressive books about it, including the one you are reading, are largely faked or exaggerated grossly. The Truddi Chase case is not regarded as genuine at all.
And the Sybil case is a profound and total fake, as was recently confirmed. It was fiction, claiming to be based on real life, but audiotapes emerged of sessions between the therapist and "sybil" making it very clear inded, that the therapist was looking for a good case of MPD to write up in what she hoped would be a successful book, and extensively coached and encouraged her patient to come up with the sort of stuff she wanted for her book.
I am shocked that any instructor in any psychiatric nursing course would be so ignorant about the actual truth about MPD and the cult-like following such books produced, which caused so much misery for so many people, would actually require such rubbish to be read in a course ! So many multi-million dollar lawsuits have been won, and others still pursued, against "therapists" who became prosperously famous for devising cases of MPS, to the detriment of their patients.
After the start of these cases, and a growing number of proper experts and professional bodies challenged the nonsense of the MPD craze which infested the USA and Canada, to some extent Holland, and a little in Britain, it seems to have been fading out rapidly, thank goodness. History will judge it as a collective social psychosis and delusion.
Almost without exception, people diagnosed as having MPD ( or its revised version, DID) became much worse while in therapy. And when their health insurance ran out and their therapists could no longer be generously paid for the various quack therapies that were applied to it, they universally became better with either no treatment at all, or minimal reatment by ordinary shrinks who didn't believe in the delusion.