Question

Consequences of too much grapefruit juice
Dear DietDoc,

Is there a limit to the amount of grapefruit juice you can drink a day, and if so, what are the consequences of exceeding the limit. I have been drinking a glass of juice a day for about a month now and lately I have been suffering with mouth ulcers and boils. Could this be as a result of the high acidity in the grapefruit juice? Does grapefuit juice really aid dieting?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Dear Giselle
I don't think that 1 glass of grapefruit juice should be harmful. Seeing that it is rich in vitamin C and bioflavonoids, it should be making you feel better, not worse. However, you may be sensitive or intolerant to citrus fruits and that could be causing the problem. Cut out the grapefruit juice and all other citrus for 2 weeks and check how you respond. If the ulcers don't disappear, then please have a medical checkup as you may have an infection. If they do disappear rapidly and reappear when you reintroduce citrus juice, then you are probably sensitive to citrus and will have to avoid it in future. People like including grapfruit and its juice in slimming diets because it is low in energy and contains some pectin if you eat a whole grapefruit that makes you feel more satiated.