Ask an expert

14 Jul 2011

Constant Anxiety
Hello, I have experienced one or two traumatic experiences in my life (mugging, armed robbery, etc) and I never really dealt with it I suppose. After the robberies I started getting anxious when people act out of the ordinary (when people run, or shout or cry or something, I get very nervous). Recently, I had a very slight bumper bashing (taxi of course, the moron came to a very sudden stop around a corner). It was my very first “ accident”  and now I panic when I drive. Whenever I pass a robot I always look back and panic that it wasn’ t green when I went over, I’ ve changed the route I went to work because I am petrified of seeing the taxi again, I take forever to change lanes because I am scared of driving into someone…  basically I am becoming a nervous and BAD driver. I can’ t not drive to work though- no one I know goes in that direction that I can get a lift with, and really it would be stupid to stop driving just because I clipped the corner of a taxi’ s bumper. But how do I work through this? I really cannot afford therapy at the moment (I literally come of with R0.00 savings at the end of a month). Would it do me good to take a day or two off work? Is there something I can do over the internet to help me? I feel that I am forever anxious and it is really not a nice feeling.
Answer 449 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Jenna,
Well, having been mugged and having my wallet stolen in Checkers last week, I understand !
Sounds lke you may have some post-traumatic stress disorder-like symptoms, and some features of panic disorder, probably basically an Anxiety Disorder. Which, fortunately, responds really well to proper treatment, with medications such as some also used to treat depression, and with CBT style counselling.
I'm not sure whether a couple of days off work would make much difference. Check out ways of getting psych help through a major state / provincial hospital, or the psych departments of your nearest medical school, as they should be able to provide effective treatment with meds provided at a cost related to your income and expenses.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.