Question

Constant Blocked Nose for over 3 Months?
Hi, I have been suffering with Sinus or at least sinus like symptoms for over 3 months now. It is especially bad at night or when I get tired. My husband says it's like an alarm bell that says it's time for bed as it happens every night when I'm ready for bed. It's not all that bad during the day, but it still feels stuffy. I spoke to my Doctor about 2 months ago and she said it should clear up when the rains come, but we have had plenty rain and nothing - She mentioned it was caused by all the dust in the air etc. Should I consult a ENT specialist or wait it out some more? Are there any OTC medicines that you can recomend to help? I have been using Sinex every night for about 2 months, but I'm sure this can't be healthy - but if my nose is blocked I just can't sleep...

Thanks.

Dear Cee,
This sounds to me like allergic rhinitis symptoms. Visiting an ENT specialist is not a bad idea. Unfortunately using nosedrops for a while only makes things worse and taking sinus tablets also don't work after a while. What does work is using a cortisone nose spray like Beconaze aq together with an antihistamine tablet at night. First let a doctor have a look to confirm that it is actually allergic and not a chronic sinusitis.