Question

Constant Hearburn
After the birth of my second child (now 14 months) I have started getting heartburn 24/7. I went to my GP that gave me Zantac Effervescent wich helped for about half an hour and then it comes back again. I went back to my dr and he told me that maybe because I am overweight and my daughter was 3.75kg maybe I have a henia. Although he could not see anything or feel anything. He prescribed to me Lokit which worked like a bomb. It has been a year now that I am on these capsules , if i leave it the hearburn returns. Could you exlplain to me why I would have such heartburn, could it be because there is a lot of acidity in my body. Or doesn't it have anything to do with it.

Dear Zetty
No it has nothing to do with acidity in the body. The upper valve of the stomach does not close properly causing acid to run up into the esophagus. Read this article that explains everything very nicely: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/digestive/disorders/087.html
It is important to manage this as the chronic acid burn in the esophagus can cause cancer in the long term. You actually need to have a gastroscopy and then you and the doctor should decide whether you are going to drink anti acid medication longterm or if you are going to need an operation to fix the valve.