Question

Continuous Cough / Phlegm / Bad Chest
I have a 17 month old son and over the past couple of weeks have really been battling to get rid of his bad cough, runny nose and "phlemy" chest. His nose runs throught the day, but only coughs at night or if he cries. He is a creche and all the kids in his class seem to be suffering with a runny nose. I have given him Ventez / Expigen, Bronkese, Tussitots, etc. for the cough to no avail and resorted to going the chemist on Friday and was given something called Ilvico. This does not seem to be helping either. I stay in Boksburg and it was recently discovered that the mine near our home is burning underground and has been since mid-January 2003. Apparently the mine officials are opening the vents to release the smoke in the evenings and we are battling with the choking chemical smell being let out. The chemist told me that children under 3 cannot handle this smoke and it is causing some sort of allergy for them. There is apparently sulphur, along with other chemical elements, in this smoke and they expect it to burn for (hopefully) only another 2 weeks. I have an allergy to sulphur and was wondering if that could be what Aidan's problem is. Other than the above-mentioned health concerns he is an active, lively, normal litle boy with no other health problems. Please help.

Hazel, it’s difficult to say for sure from this side of screen, but what the pharmacist said sounds like it might be true. The best would be to give him inhalations of Berotec®, Atrovent® and Pulmicort® and see what happens. If it is due to an allergy type reaction, it should help a lot. If it doesn’t clear up, you will have to take him to the doctor. Good luck.