Question

Contraception + HPV
Dear Doc,
Which method of contraception would you recommend to someone with HPV and herpes? (I am 31 and have had one child, 7 years ago. Had Letz therapy Sept.2002. Smear now clean.) I'm thinking of the cancer risk and wonder whether a certain type of contraception would be better in this case. What does research say? Your input is greatly appreciated.

The oral contraceptive and injectable offer some protection against pelvic infection and therefore indirectly against cancer of the cervix. Barrier methods would also offer this protection but are less effective as contraceptives.