Question

04 Apr 2007

Contraception - Morning After Pill
Greetings

My girlfriend who is 26 years old and I had unprotected sex. She took the morninng after pill within 24 hrs of having sex. We then had protected sex about 20 hours later but I took off the condom after a while, I did not ejaculate inside of her but cannot be a 100 percent sure whether I had any pre ejaculations inside of her, does she need to take the pill again inorder to prevent pregnancy, she is also just a few 2 to 3 days away from her period. Could somomeone please let me know ASAP.

Thanking You
Kind Regards

Emergency Contraceptive Pills (ECPs) are certain combinations of particular birth control pills taken within 120 hours of unprotected intercourse to prevent pregnancy. While repeat use of ECPs have no known health risks, you may already be familiar with temporary side effects when you took them last; some women may have changes in the amount, duration, and timing of their next period, while others may experience nausea and vomiting.

You ask what your chances are of getting pregnant. One's chances of becoming pregnant cannot be predicted precisely since so many variables are involved. However, based on the information you provided, a couple of influential factors can be considered to help narrow the estimate of your risk of pregnancy. For example, did the unprotected intercourse happen during the most fertile days of your cycle? Typically, this period runs from five to six days before ovulation through the day after ovulation, with a 10 to 30 percent chance of becoming pregnant. If you're getting your period this weekend, you may or may not have already ovulated during this cycle. However, it is likely that you have already ovulated. If you know for sure that you have ovulated, and if the condom broke after ovulation ended, you're probably at low risk for pregnancy. Given that there is still a small possibility of becoming pregnant, using EC again may be of benefit.

In addition, when the condom broke during intercourse is another factor that may decrease or increase your likelihood of becoming pregnant. Did it break before or after your partner ejaculated? Most condoms fail because of human error, including from using expired condoms, opening the package with long or jagged fingernails or teeth, or not using enough lubrication. If you use condoms to protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs), you could use another method in addition to the condoms as a pregnancy prevention backup, such as a diaphragm, a cervical cap, birth control pills, Depo-Provera, a contraceptive ring or patch, or an IUD. It also makes sense to consider other birth control options since ECPs are not intended to be used on a regular basis. They are not as effective as other methods of contraception that are used consistently and correctly. It can be helpful to talk with your health care provider about which method may work for you and your partner.

WHY are you using emergencycontraceptives as contraception. She might as well take the pill every day because she is giving herself so much Oesterogen every time she takes EC. And the cost of EC is the same as one months supply of the pIll.