Question

Contractor
HI, I am a ocntractor for a mining company and have been with them for just over 5 years now. So far, I have been treated fairly, and proved myself in all areas.
I am now 4 months pregnant. I did inform them 2 months ago of my pregnancy. This is my 2nd pregnancy while working here.
My problem is this- We have started a big project, which I have been working on since last year. We have now been awarded the contract, so work is going into execution. They have now come and asked me to move to another dept, as they require someone on full time, and cannot take risks with me going on maternity leave, which will be for a period of 3.5 months from Dec to mid-march next year.

I have been excited about this project, as this contributes greatly to my career development, but now obviously this decision has upset me terribly.
Can they do this, given the fact that I have provided adequate notice of my pregnancy? I have refused to move, since it was a suggestion at first, but now they seem to have their minds set about me moving and are taking it further with management.
I am furious, needless to say.
There are other underlying reasons that they also want to move me, and it has nothing to do with the risk to the project itself. Its more for personal issues of other individuals in the company, and accomodating them, which now leaves me very demotivated and feeling under-valued.
I am still awaiting a response from them after I emailed them outlining my reasons for not leaving.
Labour lawyer
labour lawyer

re: Contractor

It does sound like they are discriminating against you because of your pregnancy. You should raise an internal grievance.