Question

coping with loss
My daughter has had a rough 2 weeks. Firstly she had a tonsillectomy and has been recovering at
home. When she went back to school she was told that her teacher - who she is very fond of -
will be leaving. Yesterday a teacher that she had just over a year ago was killed. Understandably she is extremely upset - I wish I could take the pain away. I need advice on how to help her through this difficult time . My daughter is almost 12 and I feel this year particularly is very
hard both emotionally and physically. You're advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dear aries,
Most years are challenging. Actually, this series of events in your daughter's life may provide an excellent and valuable opportunity for the two of you, on several / numerous occasions, to talk through not only these specific events, but also what they represent in the broader picture of life --- a tonsillectomy in a sense represents the fact that while we are and hope to remain healthy, this requires effort and attention to our health, recognizing our physica vulerabilities, but keeping them in proportion. The loss of the teachers provides an important opportunity, before she faces the loss of someone more close to her, as happens in life, to talk about grief and loss, and how we feel about death. In the same way, the death of a family pet can be an important chance to discuss these unavoidable themes, and to come to some sort of mutual understanding about them, before we ae challenged with a loss that is much closer to us, and much hardwer to deal with if one is entirely unprepared.
Talking through these matters with her may not merely help her get through this tough patch, but may help her to be stronger and more competent at handling other challenges that life always manages to face us with.