Question

Correct eating plan
I am currently on a healthy eating plan. I gym 3 -4 times a week (cardio as i am trying to loose weight first). Once i have done this i will do circuit and weight training as i would like to tone. My question is should i be on a high protein diet? My daily diet eg is as follows: morning - oats and 2 egg whites, snack - protein shake, lunch - chicken breast, brown rice, veg (pref greens), snack - protein shake, dinner - steak, salad, baked potato.

Dear Vicki
You are already on a high protein diet if you eat what you describe. Just make sure that you are not ingesting more than 6300 kJ per day and that the protein shakes do not provide more than 1000 kJ each because this could push your energy intake above 6300 kJ/day and prevent weight loss. You are on the right path with doing as much cardio as possible to lose weight and once you have lost the required amount of weight then doing the circuit and weight training to tone your muscles.