Question

Cortisone and diabetes
Hello, my husband is diabetic, type 1 - injects twice a day. He has a cough that doesn''t go away, our doctor gave him cortisone, ''cause it''s the only thing that helps - he did x-rays of the lungs, nothing is wrong. My husband says it''s like an irritation at the throat.
Now - with the cortisone my husband''s sugar goes high!! Normally it''s around 7 - yesterday afternoon it went up to 24, early evening yesterday down to 19 en then before we slept it was 16, this morning it was 9.
He injected more insulin - I''m very worried about the high sugar.

Cornelia

As you have experienced, the use of cortisone in a diabetic, causes poor control of diabetes. I think that he should stop taking the cortisone. His symptoms can be due to a chronic allergic rhinitis with a post nasal drip, causing irritation. He can also be experiencing the irritation due to reflux of stomach acid. Medication like anti-hypertensive drugs, especially ACE inhibitors can cause a chronic cough.

Re-consult your doctor for further investigation.