Question

COST OF DEPRESSION
Hi all. I have battled with depression for 10 years but more seriously for the past 5 years. A year ago I was admitted to Helen Joseph for 3 weeks and then Tara for a further six weeks, the help I received at both hospitals was incredable - they HELPED me. during this process I lost my job, car and two kids, but got through. But currently I have relapsed and have been seeking help and been on VENLOR up 300mg, did not work, TOPLEP 50mg only took 2 tablets had to stop bad side effects also took MIRTERON 15mg with this but take this only now. Was on Cilift 20 mg previous. I am STILL battling no matter what I do! It is easy for everyone around you to say just go see your Doc (R500-00) a time ye sure and then you get meds that COST that do not help. I am seriously not coping with this and am aware that I need help BUT I CANNOT AFFORD IT. Yes I know I can be admitted to Helen Joseph or Tara again, where I know I will receive the best prof help which my psycologist really wanted) BUT then I loose my job, car, and maybe home this time. I live by myself and do not have family. I have withdrawn from my few friends as I now feel that if I am so tired of myself imagine how they must feel about me (although they say they are there for me)!! Question - Where to from here, what do I do?

I know from personal experience the costs of seeing docs ( nowadays they fully charge colleagues, whereas we used to treat each other, nurses, physios, etc, free ) and the costs of medicines --- I really do know what you mean. With something like Depression, you might not need many visits to a specialist, as the diagnosis is probably clear, and with the history of previous treatment, you should be able to get good advice as to alternative drugs. Try to see if you can see someone at the medical school dept of psychiatry or Helen Joseph or some similar hospital again, and the charges should surely be related to income, and not ful private practice rates ?
I don't under stand why being admitted to Tara or HJ shouldmean your losing your job, car or house --- that absolutely should not happen, and they should have a social worker who can advise you on how to make sure this does not happen.