Question

Costipated
Hi Doc, I have a serious problem where I go for up to 3 weeks and longer without passing a stool. I have now tried eating Bran Flakes for breakfast and drinking more water what can I use with this. I am desperate because when I do have a stool I suffer with piles afterwards this has been on going for years now. Please Help.

Melody

I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy to find the cause for your chronic constripation. In the interim you can use Laxette syrup (20ml, twice daily) in combination with Softlax tablets (two to four tablets at night) to soften your stools. You can also supplement with fibre. A good product to use is Solgar Multiple Fibre capsules available at health shops.