Ask an expert

28 Jan 2003

Could it be shingles

I've got fot the past 7 weeks terribly pains just beneath my ribcase. The pains were very intense (like stabbing) at times. Sometimes the pain was so intense that I could not breath for a minute or two. It feels like "mildsteek". I only experience pain on the one side of my body. The pains started only at my right side underneath my ribs (my ribs also felt very sensitive). The pain went from underneath my ribcase (in front) to the back of my spine. I also experienced that my skin on my right breast are very sensitive (burning sensation when you touch it) (Dit voel soos fyn dorings wat oor jou vel gevryf word). At present the pain comes and go, but is not so intense anymore. I do not have any rash on my skin. Four days ago I experienced intense pain over my chest area (left middle). It felt as if someone are sitting on my chest. I did not feel that I could not breath, it was just very uncomfortable and a persisting pain. I also experienced twice that sharp stabbing pain in my chest. I went to my GP and he said that he do not know what it is. He thought it could be symptons of a hernia, but did not send me for any tests. After I experienced the chest pain, I went to my "Internis" and she did a EKG of my heart and she could find nothing wrong. She said it might be stress-related simptoms and that I must relax more and do some relaxing exercise. I do not like to go to another docter because I do not want to use all of my medical aid fund in the beginning of the year. Do you think that I must go for a blood test to see if it is shingles or must I just have patience until the pain goes away? Are there any side effects of shingles without knowing that you might have it? My husband and I are planning of having another baby this year, so it is very important for us to know that I am healthy.

Thanks for your help.
Answer 475 views

01 Jan 0001

Jo, I doubt that it is Shingles if there is no rash. It might be that something in your back is pressing on the nerve that supplies the affected area. It might also be due to inflammation of the nerve or due to spasm of the muscles in between the ribs. The best would be to ask your doctor to prescribe you some Trepiline® and an anti-inflammatory drug like Arthrotec®, Brufen®, Celebrex®, etc. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18741 votes