Question

Couple of ???'s Dr's in Durban + Forums
Can I have a psychiatrists name in Dbn, have been on T now 4 2yrs, but my current shrink, who was recommended by SASOP, apparently consults with Transgender people is of no help 2 me.
I nevertheless have to see him for my script.
I am transitioning FTM.

I also need to confirm whether I need to move to Jhb in order for the psychologists consults to take place with Dr Franko Collin, cos' that's what I was told by my psychologist.

Are there any Transgender forums that take place in Dbn?

Transgender advisor
Transgender expert

Hi Chaser

Good to see you here again...

I will start with the question about moving to Jhb. Surely if you want to transition "through" Dr Franco Collin and his team, you will have to move to Gauteng, they are based in Pretoria, not Jhb. He prefere seeing a person on a monthly basis, how regular per month I can't say, as I also think it varies from person to person - but surely monthly - over a period of an estimated two years, I'd say you need to move.

Forums: If you mean support group, where you in person can meet people, I doubt if there is any in Dbn. The only ones I know off, is one in Jhb (mainly attended by MTF) and two in CT, both with mixed attendance.
Online - there is a SA based forum, where people can chat and ask each other questions. It is currently a yahoo group, which means it cant be searched on eg Google.

The name is TGSA and to find the link - go to the Gender DynamiX website: once you are there, click on Resources, and then you will find weblinks. Look under SA Trans links and you will find TGSA. You need to have a Yahoo email address. If you don't have one, quickly create one for yourself, and then become a member at TGSA. Once you have membership, you can chat with the people there. There is over 200 Sa members on that forum, not many FTM though, but I know for a fact there is also a few from Dbn area, so you should be able to get advise to "referals" there.

Why I started with the relocating question - once you on TGSA, try to also be in conversation there about the pro's and con's of moving to Gauteng vs Dbn specialists. I will gladly speak to you again, just gain some more opinions on such a big decition as in relocating.

Hope to hear from you soon again
Liesl