Question

CousCous
I was told to stay away from white flour like white bread and stuff. Does this include couscous?

Thanks Dietdoc, your a great help when it comes to all my ongoing questions.

Dear Reader
Couscous is also made with wheat flour, so it depends how refined the product is when you buy it. I suspect that couscous sold in SA is made with highly refined white flour, while the couscous eaten in Mediterranean countries can vary from crushed wheat which still contains all the fibre to highly refined flour. It may help to ask at a Mediterranean restaurant (e.g. Zemese in Brooklyn Mall, Pretoria) to see what kind of couscous they serve and if they know where one can buy the unprocessed variety. Also check on the packet to see if they list any nutrients such as dietary fibre.