Ask an expert

09 Nov 2006

Cousin suffers from bulimia

We need help urgently. My cousin Noleen suffers from Bulimia, not sure if this is the correctterm to use. Her husband is worried to death, she has a 2 year old. She can't sit and talk to anyone, sivil conversations are taboo. Everyone sees her loosing weight, nobody knows what to do. They fight allot & Derek does try and help but she won't listen to anyone...pls help, something drastic needs to be done. I don't want to loose her, she is beautiful and so talented. She over eats and then throws up - uses laxatives - water tablets. Has been hospitilised twice with muscle spasms. Uses thins for energy - won't listen, pls our family needs someone to help her before it is too late. We love her so much.
Answer 373 views

01 Jan 0001

What you describe does sound like Bulimia, but perhaps also coupled with a personality disorder. Thinz are bad for her and shouldn't be on the market. It would be very difficult for anyone to help her if she refuses help --- maybe if the doctors who admitted her to hospital hear of the full situation they could consult a shrink and arrange for a compulsory admission on the grounds that her life could be in danger ( though I'm puzzled as to how they could investigate and treat a bulimic woman for muscle spasms, without spotting the bulimia ), but for obvious reasons doctors are reluctant to use compulsory admissions. There's obviously nothing we can do at this distance, especially as you don't even mention where she lives. Call the Dept of Psychiatry at your nearest medical school for advice on what local facilities might be available and how they might be accessed
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.