Ask an expert

21 Feb 2009

cramping badly and 5 weeks along
Please help I miscarried in Oct 2008 and had a d& c. did not get a period since Oct. First wk in Dec went to gynae who gave me Primolut N to induce period, got one on 17Dec. Jan 13th got another period. 9 Feb got another period, but then 8 Feb tested and got a faint line which i threw away, so then when i got my period I was positive i am not preg. but then 2 weeks later 20 Feb the time that i am suppose to be ovulating i started bleeding, with clots two big ones came out, exactly what led to my miscarriage the previous time, i bled from 5 weeks till i miscarried at 4months plus. so i phoned gynae who said i must go for bloods to confirm preg, went to sandton clinic and got results 45min later - I am pregnant - 5weeks also confirmed by the doc. My worry is 1) why did i get a normal period yet i was already pregnant? 2) I am cramping so badly, the bleeding has stopped though, it was just 1 day bleed. is this cramping normal, when will it stop? Gynae put me on Progesterone pills 100mg 3times a day for a month, your comments are most welcome
Answer 409 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Happy

I am glad that you have fallen pregnant again so soon. It does occur occasionally that you can have a bleed although you are already pregnant. The most common cause for this is called an implantation bleed. The fact that your bleeding has stopped now is a very good sign. Cramping however can be normal as the uterus is now starting to expand and ligaments start stretching. I would suggest you do 2 serial Beta HCG quantitative levels and see if the levels are increasing. The levels generally should double every 48 hours and if they are increasing at that rate then chances are high that the pregnancy is going to continue as normal. Your gynaecologist has put you on the appropriate medication I would suggest that you continue with the progesterone tablets as well.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.