Question

CROHNS DISEASE
PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT EXACTLY CROHNS DISEASE
IS AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD I HAVE IT. IS IT LIFE THREATENING?
WILL I BEABLE TO LEAD A NORMAL LIFE AGAIN? PLEASE GIVE ME AS MUCH INFO AS YOU ARE ABLE. THANK YOU

In the dark, I’m involved with another site that deals with just inflammatory bowel disease. This is from the site’s FAQ page.
“Crohn's disease (CD) is named after Burrill B. Crohn who was the first name in a three-author landmark paper published in 1932 that first described the disease. CD is a serious inflammatory disease of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. It predominates in the last part of the small intestine (ileum) and the large intestine (colon), but it may occur in any section of the gastro-intestinal (GI) tract. CD usually causes diarrhoea, crampy abdominal pain, often fever, and at times rectal bleeding. Loss of appetite and subsequent weight loss may also occur. Symptoms may range from mild to severe, but in general people with CD can lead active and productive lives.

CD is chronic disease of unknown cause. Medication currently available decreases inflammation and usually controls the symptoms, but does not provide a cure. CD and ulcerative colitis (UC) are grouped together as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) because CD behaves similarly to UC from which it may be difficult to differentiate. In the case of CD, all the layers of the intestine are involved and there can be normal healthy bowel in between patches of diseased bowel, unlike UC where only the innermost lining (mucosa) of the colon is affected in a continuous manner. Depending on where the involvement occurs, CD may be referred to as ileitis, regional enteritis, or colitis, etc. To lessen the confusion, the term Crohn's disease can be used to identify the disease wherever it occurs in the body (ileum, colon, rectum, anus, stomach, duodenum, etc.).”

You will find the site at www.ccsg.co.za. Have a look and let me know if you have more questions. Please post them as a new question to ensure that I get them. Good luck.