Question

Curved Spine
Dear Doctor

I am a lady of 27yrs. I recently had some xrays taken to check for any lung or TB infections which Im clear of. The doctor however noted that I had "a well marked kypho-scoliosis of the dorsal spine". Well I've been aware of this situation - my right side from the back to the side(under armpit) is bigger than the other side. Sometimes when I do hard chores or don't sit up in the correct manner - I have a back pain on the area. I also can't sleep for long on my right side - I don't know whether its in my head but I'm always feeling the bulge. Though this is not clearly noticeable - I avoid tight tops but i'm sure a trained person can see it. However my question is that I like doing sit ups, squats and jumping. I only notice severe pain if I have taken a break from exercising. I was somewaht active in school, I ran and swam. I don't know if I should avoid this until I go to a doctor (orthopaedic surgeon - right)?? I am presently not on medical aid and wonder if this is very costly should I opt to do the surgery. Is this problem common with any kind of race? I would really like to have the problem treated due to cosmetic reasons and the nagging pain I sometimes feel on the area and just knowing that its there. Do you know of any good orth surgeons I can go to??

Thanks for all your help.

Teeh, it usually stops getting worse once you’ve grown up, so the best would be to have an x-ray taken 6 months to a year after the first one. If there is no progression, you can relax as you will only need to see a specialist when the symptoms become worse. Good luck.