Question

Cycle or run
Hi, I was wondering which of the two exercises (cylcing/running) is better. I swim laps 3 times a week but would like to change one of the days for running or cycling. My aim is to burn fat, so are either of these exercises better than the other?

Glen

Hi Glen

Neither is better, each has its pros and cons, but there is no objective criteria to say that one is better than the other. So it's very much a personal preference, which do you prefer? The tricky thing about running is the impact, which can make it difficult at first. Often, walking and running have to be mixed in order to achieve results while avoiding injury. Cycling doesn't have quite the same problem, and so maybe that's the better one. But running is very effective, despite this initial problem. Some people just cannot run, though, they hate it and then cycling, by elimination is the obvious choice.

So I'm afraid I can't be much help, other than to say you should perhaps experiment with them and see which is more pleasant and enjoyable, and then it's a pretty simple choice - why choose just one, in fact? You could do both!