Question

cycling fit???
I had been sick in december and could train for the first cycling event, I like to cycle it give my body a whole workout, but I afraid I might overdo it, can you give me tips on how i can train for the next cycle event that is in 3 weeks time, please help!

HI Mel

I think that having taken a 3 week break, you can very easily spend about one week catching up on your fitness, and then start training right at the level you left off with, or you might need 3 weeks of training to get back there. it all depends on your fitness levels before you were fit. In otherwords, if you were very fit before and you had been doing some regular cycling, then you can actually afford 3 weeks off, because you don't lose that fitness as quickly as if you had just begun training and were therefore quite unfit. So, my advice, to be on the safe side, is that you spend the next 2 weeks doing easy rides - at about 70% of the level you were at before you feel ill, then spend the next week (before the race) going up to about 90% of that level, and then do the race. The vital thing is that you don't expect this to be a great race - it can't be, and in the big scheme of things, assuming you are doing Argus as perhaps your main goal, it doesn't matter if this race is a little less than your normal average. Once you get by this race, then you can probably get right back into what you would say is normal training.

Hope this helps