Question

Cysts & Fertility
Hi Dr,

I had a miscarriage on 10 Oct at 9wks. No D & C was done. The gynae did an internal scan and found that I had one "simple cyst" the size of a tennis ball. She has not prescribed any medication. and only advised that I should go back to see her at the end of January 2006 when she will check to see if the cyst has dissolved. Can I fall pregnant in the meantime. Will there be any complications if I do? We've been trying for quite some time and don't want to wait, our son is getting older (now 6 going on 7) and that was a normal pregnancy with natural birth. Why the miscarriage? Is it because I was on Triphasil for almost 4 1/2 years?

Your assistance is much appreciated

Cherry
fertility expert

Dear Cherry

It is not unusual for women to have miscarriages for many different reasons. In the vast majority of miscarriages, a definite cause is difficult to isolate. However it is believed that most miscarriages are secondary to some sort of genetic abnormality. A miscarriage occuring at nine weeks could be related to a number of factors one of which is hormone deficiency.

It would be important to note if there was a fetal heart visible on ultra sound scan as this is significantly important and this would explain or exclude the possibility of genetic abnormalities.
The simple cyts is most probably the corpus luteum or cyst of pregnancy which is not unusual. The advise given regarding repeating the scan in January would be reasonable in this situation.

It is possible to fall pregnant within two months of having a miscarriage providing you have at least one normal menstrual period in between. I have difficulty in understanding why no D&C was done in the first instance as this would have returned your hormone environment to normal much quicker and this would have speeded up the chances of you conceiving in the near future. It is unlikely that the triphasil had anything to do with the miscarriage .I would advise you to remain positive and not to become desperate as this would adversly affect your chances of conceiving.