Question

04 Apr 2007

Cytology test
One of our horses developed a lump on his back and we had the vet out to determine what is wrong. The vet informed us that he is fine. Could someone please refer me to a site where I can get more information on the cytology test that was done. How do they do it, what tests do they do on the sample taken. I can't get hold of the vet who did it but am curious about this.
cybervet

Your own vet may have done the cytology in his prsactice. By taking a fine needle sample vets can make a smear and examine it under the microscope and differentiate between an abscess, allergic reaction and cancer for instance. Sometimes these samples are sent away to laboratories who do the microscopic exams and report back to the vet. There are a number of labs in the country who can do this. Your vet will be able to tell you which tests were done and by whom.