Ask an expert

04 Apr 2007

Cytology test
One of our horses developed a lump on his back and we had the vet out to determine what is wrong. The vet informed us that he is fine. Could someone please refer me to a site where I can get more information on the cytology test that was done. How do they do it, what tests do they do on the sample taken. I can't get hold of the vet who did it but am curious about this.
Answer 386 views

01 Jan 0001

Your own vet may have done the cytology in his prsactice. By taking a fine needle sample vets can make a smear and examine it under the microscope and differentiate between an abscess, allergic reaction and cancer for instance. Sometimes these samples are sent away to laboratories who do the microscopic exams and report back to the vet. There are a number of labs in the country who can do this. Your vet will be able to tell you which tests were done and by whom.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.