Question

Dachshund wee in the house
My 7 year old male Dachshund lifts his leg against everything in the house. At night he pees on the corners of my bed, but the doggie door is always open. Even if I leave my handbag on the floor, he will pee on it.
What can I do to make him stop.
Please help?
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

Hi Bonita, nice to hear from you and by the sounds of it I would hazard a guess that your little boy is Still intact? If this is the case, the only thing you can do if have him sterilized and I would suggest speaking to your vet about this. He is older any your vet would let you know if possible.
If he has been sterilized, I would need a bit more info from you and it would be better to contact me via e-mail. Reasons that suddenly cause this behaviour are normally stress related such as changes in family, loss of a friend, house move, new addition to family, new neighbours, new job etc. It could even be that we have had a very cold winter and the dog just doesnt want to go outside.
What you can do, but is intact wont really help, is go back to the beginning with toilet training, really rewarding when dog eliminates outside. There is a link in Health24 to an article on this subject giving detailed instructions how too. Cleaning with white vinegar and water instead of household cleaners, putting some pure Citronella oil of soild areas will also help.
also, paying attention to the behaviour in the way of screaming, shouting etc will only serve to reinforce the behaviour, so rather do the cleaning necessary and go back to basics, and if intact, investigate getting the dog sterilized. At his age it will take between 6- 12 weeks for the testerone levels to drop. thanks Scotty