Question

DAILY NEEDS OF FOOD GROUPS FOR VERY ACTIVE DAUGHTER

Dear doc,

My daughter is 18 and does high energy dancing for 2 hours on a monday and 1 hour rest of week.

My question is how many of the diff food groups does she need daily for her hectic schedule. She also competes. Is she healthy with a BMI of 16.

thanx mom

Dear Mom
Your daughter's BMI is too low. To still be in the normal range, she should have a BMI of 18 or more. To work out her ideal weight square her height in metres and multiply with 22 (e.g. 1.6 x 1.6 x 2 = ideal weight). If you click on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & Food site' you can read the articles on 'Balanced diet I-IV' which will give you an idea of what she should be eating. Because she is so active she needs to eat plenty of unprocessed carbohydrates to supply her with sufficient energy, so that she does not lose weight all the time and does not get tired.