Question

dammnn i'm unfit!
So in an effort to get into shape i'v signed up at the local gym. Took out a personal training programme.
Quite helpful and honest chaps, anyway guy suggested i do 1 or 2 weeks of light cardio just to get into the groove and then they'll start proper 1 on 1 training.

Bear in mind i'm uber unfit, so i do about 1km jog/run on the treadmill and 1km on the rower. last 2 times i managed 7mins on the orbitrek.
Feels like a nice good workout, break out a good sweat etc. Though afterwards 10 or so minutes after i leave - feel very light headed and nauseus. Just feel like lying down.

Is this normal? Tell me this will go away after a few days?

I eat a light meal or sandwich about 3 or 4 hours before.

Hi Ed

Two things to try out here. One is to eat that light sandwich a little closer to the time you train - about 2 hours. It may be that you are training on a very empty stomach and that is causing you to become what we call hypoglycemic, which is when the blood sugar level drops very low. So if you eat closer, you may be able to prevent this. Also, perhaps have some fruit, or a sports drink like Powerade handy, and when you finish, eat or drink that. It will help replace what you used.

The second thing is that you may simply be feeling this because you are not used to the training intensity, and so if you continue to train, your body will be able to cope better with the exercise. I suspect that your blood pressure may be falling when you stop, and that is why you want to lie down. This is quite common, but it will go away with some training, as you get fitter and more adapted to the training. In fact, by the time you read this, it may be a thing of the past, thanks to an extra week of training.

Ross