Question

Daughter stress & throw up with exam
Hi, my 11 year old daughter is in grade 6/standard 4. Every exam she throws up and is stressed. She has to study very hard to pass or get 50%. The school has tested her and says that she is not academically, but more practical inclined. They said she would always battle in school. It looks as if she has given up and does not want to study. In the past she always studied very hard, but thix exam she is only studying 1-2 hours per subject. Although she always does her homework and her marks are VERY GOOD with tests, projects and her homework. What could I do to help my daughter to do better in exams and not stress so much? We are Afrikaans and talk only Afrikaans at home, but there is only an english school in town. She has been in an english school since pre-primary. I am thinking of sending her to an Afrikaans highschool/boarding school when she has finished with primary school end of next year. Thank you. Kind regards.

It may well be that part of her problem is working within the English medium, and she may find it easier to feel more confident in an Afrikaans medium school. But, as Delene also suggests, she may with persistence do well in the English medium, and gain an extra language strength to use in life. From what you say about her good prrformance in tests and projects, she clearly has ability, and may be more lacking in confidence and perhaps to some degree in exam skills, rather than in ability. And as Delene points out, some kids especially have problems when they feel under pressure to succeed, and do better when they feel less pressurized.
Buzz's comments are also very cogent.