Question

DAUGHTER'S ACNE WOES
MY DAUGHTER HAS HAD MILD TO MODERATE ACNE FOR 2 YEARS AND HAS BEEN ON TREATMENT SINCE OCTOBER LAST YEAR. THE TREATMENT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE CLEARING THE SKIN COMPLETELY AND SHE OFTEN EXPERIENCES OUTBREAKS AND IS EXTREMELY CONSCIOUS ABOUT HER BAD SKIN.
SHE IS ON TRETRALYSL 300MG A DAY AND SKINOREN CREAM. BESIDES THE ACNE PROBLEM, MY OTHER CONCERN IS THAT SHE TENDS TO LOAD THE MAKEUP ON IN AN EFFORT TO COVER UP HER ACNE AND THIS IS EXACERBATING THE PROBLEM AND LOOKS TOO DREADFUL! I HAVE TRIED IN VAIN TO ADVISE HER TO LESSEN THE MAKEUP LOAD, BUT THIS HAS FALLEN ON DEAF EARS. I HAVE DECIDED TO CONTACT A MAKEUP ARTIST AS THOUGHT THAT MAY ENCOURAGE HER TO USE LESS MAKEUP AND USE IT CORRECTLY. WE ARE DUE TO SEE THE SKIN SPECIALIST IN APRIL FOR RE-ASSESSMENT OF HER CONDITION. SHE IS ALREADY TALKING ABOUT GOING ONTO ROACCCUTANE AS HER PEERS ARE CURRENTLY ON IT AND HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS. SITUATION. HER SKIN REALLY IS MAKING HER MISERABLE.
I WILL APPRECIATE ANY FURTHER INPUT YOU MAY HAVE TO OFFER.
KIND REGARDS
DISTRESSED MOM
Teen expert
Teen health expert

Hi Distressed Mom

Hi Writers, sorry that I am replying now but I have been away for a while but now I am up and going again and ready to give you good advice!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

The make-up is definitely a problem because she is just making it worse and blocking the pours. She is on good medication but the make-up is causing the problem here.

Roaccutane is a good option but unfortunately some times it gets worse before getting better and it has got an effect on your mood and causes dryness of lips, skin.

I would suggest that she go with the treatment that she has and stop the make-up. She needs to give her skin a break. Obviously she is self-conscious and therefore let her where a good base if she realy needs to look "presentable" but at home - no make-up what so-ever & she needs to clean her skin well.

If this doesn't help, then consider roaccutane.

T