Ask an expert

14 Jan 2005

Dealing with the loss of a loved one
My sister took her own life 5 months ago. It has been a difficult thing to accepts and comes to terms with. However she suffered from depression for many years, but it is still difficult to understand. My mom and I feel guilty, as maybe we could have helped in some way. My question is: I am concerned about by mom and dad, we do not live in the same town, and I feel she may need to speak to someone to help her overcome this problem. Do you perhaps have any contacts for a psychologist that can help her in the Grahamstown area, and is this the correct type of person for her to see.
Answer 322 views

01 Jan 0001

Loss of a loved one is always dificult to cope with, especially if unexpected, and even more so when it is the result of suicide. It's natural to feel guilt, even though it is NOT your fault, because one feels instinctively that something so awful ought to have been prevented, even though she did not allow you to prevent it. Both you, and your parents, could be significantly helped by seeing a good local psychologist. I don't specifically know any in Grahamstown, but as the University there has a Dept of Psychology, I believe, there should be good ones in town.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18781 votes