Question

Death by Pulmanary Embolism
my mom passed away from a Pulmanary Embolism in both arteries.she had a cough and chest pain and difficulty breathing for 2 weeks. she saw the doctor twice, a week before she passed and a day before she passed

He gave her an injection to help with the pain and asthma medicine and cortazone the day before she passed away. she was 48, wasnt obese and didnt have an operation. what could have caused the clot that led to her death.

could the doctor have prevented it, should he have not seen the symtoms, did the injection cause it?

please help me get closure on this

Tracey, whatever the problem that caused the coughing was, might have lead to th pulmonary embolism. The actual blood clot formed only minutes before she died. She might have had smaller clots and her doctor might have picked them up, but clots in both arteries kill almost instantaneously. She would have died even if she was in ICU at the time the clots blocked the arteries. Like you said, there was no reason to suspect that she would develop a blood clot (no obesity, smoking, HRT, operation, etc.), so I’m not sure anyone would’ve made the diagnosis before it was too late. If you still have doubts, please speak to the other doctors (specialist physician, etc.) that were involved with her treatment and even the one that did the autopsy. Good luck.