Question

Declining Maximum Heart Rate
My resting heart rate is 40, my max should be 179 according my age as a 41 year old male. A year ago my resting heart rate was 48 and the maximum I could push my rate to was 168, now I can push it to an absolute max of 158. Does your max heart rate also decrease along with your resting heart rate as your fitness improves.

Hi Shane

Firstly, your max heart rate according to your age - is just an estimate - since this varies greatly from person to person and can only be accurately established by doing certain tests on the individual.

For a given workload, as you get fitter, so your heart muscle becomes stronger and it is possible that you can do "that work" at a lower heart rate than when less fit. So it might be "harder" to get your heart rate as high as you previously did. This is not a concern, but rather something to be pleased about. If you want to have it professionally tested, you could visit our SSISA High Performance Centre for suitable tests (021 659 5641).

Keep up the training.