Question

DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS IN ACTIVE, SLIM, NON-SMOKING & HEALTHY WOMAN
Dear Doc

Please can you offer some information as I am very confused as to why I have been diagnosed with DVT. I am 36, fit and active (cyclist, was due to ride in the Argus this weekend and have been forced to withdraw due to DVT), not overweight, do not smoke, cholesterol is low (3.3) and do not spend any time in aeroplanes. I cannot understand why I have been afflicted with this condition when I don't seem to fall under any of the qualifying criteria.

I would also like to know what the chances are of it re-occuring and whether or not cycling or over-exercise could be a cause (although this is not mentioned as a possible cause under your section on DVT under "Conditions"). I am currently being treated with the standard medication (Warfarin) and am patiently awaiting the day when I can get back on my bicycle again! Will I be able to return to normal training as soon as the next scan (hopefully) reveals that the clot has dissolved?

I would appreciate your help as I am disappointed and confused. I should not have this problem!!!
Charlie

Charlie, it’s difficult to say without being able to examine you first, but it might be because of a calf injury or swelling due to over-training. The best would be to phone your treating physician and ask him what the story is. Good luck.
PS If you’re interested in something I wrote on the topic, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll send you a copy.