Question

Dementia with Lewy bodies

My uncle 77 years old, was diagnosed with the above illness, they have perscribed EPILIM 200mg, he has been using it for 2months, but he is worse now. tell me is that the correct medicine that he is using.

many thanks

This is a very technical question, and only the best locasl psychiatrist or neurologist who examined him, could explain this EPilim is an anti-convulsant drug, also used as a mood stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder. It is possible that your uncle was having some fits, or was thought at risk of fits, and hence the choice of Epilim ; but some of its side-effects could also be troublesome -- I think the prescribing doctor needs to be advised that his condition seems to be getting worse, and asked to explain the ratonale for this treatment in this case