Question

Depo provera versus Melodene
Hi dr

I have been on the Depo Provera 3-month injection for 2 years now and I am gaining weight. I am also on Paxil for clinical depression, so I am not quite sure which medication might be influencing my weight.

The reason I went on the injection was to stop my periods. I experienced at least 3 'black' days per month during pms when i could not even get out of bed, and this would be followed by the period that was very painful and also disrupted my life for the first two days, as I have to sit with hot water bottles and take lots of painkillers just to be able to function.

When I went for my last injection, the lady at the clinic said she cant change me to the 2 month one (less weight gain, apparently) as I have taken Diane before and are therefore susceptible to acne.

She then recommended Melodene and I am quite interested in trying it. The only question is if you think that this might help for regulating my hormones, and causing less PMS and painful periods? I would rather gain weight than experience the trauma of my previous periods.

Thanks for your time,
C

Melodene should give you less painful periods and less PMS.