Question

depression
I'm a 20 year old woman and i've been suffering from depression. It all started when i had to move back home( Durban) end of 2002 from Pretoria, where i'd been staying by myself for 2yrs. I had to leave all my friends and my boyfriend(still together) I started therapy in September 2003 but stopped after a few weeks coz my parents were complaining about the money. I was put on medication(lilly fluoxetine) for 3 months. The problem is that i was fine for a while but now it has started all over again. I seem to cry a lot and feel sorry for myself.I'm also not coping with this long distance relationship because i'm not allowed to visit Pretoria at all, so i always fight with my parents about me going there. I really hate feeling like this. Do u think i should go back on the medication?

Dear Zaza,
it's hard to figure out your situation. I/m not sure why a 20-year-old would depend on her parents to tell her whether or not she may visit Pretoria, unless she is financially dependent on them. ( and if your parents were paying for your medication, it rather sounds like that ). It still sounds odd, though, if they'd prefer you to have unteated Depression, rather than looking for alternatives, including Counselling, and visiting a state / provincial health clinic for treatnment at a cost relaed to your income.
It does sound as if you are becoming Depressed again, and as I suggest above, it'd be well worthwhile for you to see someone, even at a hospital clinic, for re-assessment of the situation, and re-consideration of the best treatment. There are cheaper generic ( chemically equivalent but cheaper ) versions of several mahor antidepressants, if this is what is thought best. Counselling may also be important, to sort out these issues of dependency versus independence, etc.